Is Trump Racist?
I think we can all agree that calling someone a racist out of the blue just for having a different political opinion is uncalled for and isn’t something that is good for public discourse.
But what if enough evidence has been compiled to show a pattern of racially charged statements and ignorant claims which the only conclusion can be their views are that the white race is supreme to all others? Couldn’t then we could label someone a racist?
From observing Donald J. Trump since before his candidacy when he was a reality show host, to the moment he stepped off the escalator at Trump Tower, to today, we at Stop The Donald Trump have catalogued all of his controversial statements. So let’s take a quick look at some actual quotes by Donald Trump:
1. Trump began his campaign calling Mexicans “rapists, murderers, and drug dealers” and as an afterthought, some he assumed were good people.
Trump described people from Mexico as having “lots of problems”, drug users, rapists, and criminals. By painting a large swath of people with a single brush as “dangerous” he is using baseless stereotyping in an attempt to prove that Hispanics are different in their social behavior.
2. And if you think that was a gaffe or anything innocent, he said Mexicans are rapists while under oath.
He literally put his hand on a Bible, swore to tell the truth on it, and called Mexicans rapists.
3. Trump tweeted a racially charged jab at Jeb Bush’s wife.
By earlier characterizing Mexican “illegals” as murderers, criminals, and rapists, he is starting from a basis of racism for his premise.
4. Attacked Jeb Bush for “speaking Mexican”.
Trump is speaking down to other foreign languages, implying the English language and white Anglo-Saxon culture is superior to other languages. That’s straight up the definition of white supremacy.
5. Interrupted a student to ask him what his nationality was.
As if to Trump, a person’s race has any weight to the veracity of their argument.
6. Tweeted wildly racist and inaccurate stats on black crime.
Trump tweeted a graphic from a non-existent organization trying to prove African-Americans are more violent than Caucasians. What motive could one have to do this other than to say whites are less violent?
7. When speaking at the Republican Jewish Forum, used Jewish racial stereotypes to describe the audience.
8. Blamed Mexicans for rise in Los Angeles crime.
Which was statistically not the case, as there has been a decrease in crime, but he keeps scapegoating brown skinned people for some reason.
9. Once proposed a race-based season of “The Apprentice.”
Because who else other than a racist wouldn’t want to see who is the superior race?
10. Said a federal judge could not be impartial because of his Mexican heritage.
Even Paul Ryan thought this was a “textbook example of a racist comment”. Paul Ryan.
11. Said a federal judge could not be impartial if they were a Muslim. Again, super racist.
12. Called out to “My African-American over here” during a rally.
Which on Jeopardy would be the answer to the question “Things slave owners would say.”
13. In an interview with “Face the Nation” said that the police needs to start racial profiling.
Racially profiling is a proven ineffective policing method that only makes sense if you hold the ignorant belief that minorities are more prone to violence and crime.
14. In an appeal to African-American voters, portrayed them all living in poverty.
As if all African-Americans live in a monolithic society.
15. Said black communities are the worst off they’ve ever been, forgetting slavery and Jim Crow.
16. Stood by his false and debunked claim that the “Central Park 5” are guilty.
Despite DNA evidence clearing them decades ago, Donald Trump still held onto his belief that the group known as the “Central Park 5” were still guilty, something acknowledge at the time was racially charged.
17. Answered a question at a town hall on Islamophobia with Islamophobia.
18. Claimed the UK is hiding a “Muslim problem.”
19. Pushed a loony conspiracy theory that global Jewish bankers are conspiring against him.
The only place this exact conspiracy theory gets discussed is on white supremacist sites.
20. Called African-American neighborhoods “ghettos” with “so many horrible problems.
Again as if all black people only live in ghettos.
21. Stops a rally to point to an African-American attendee who was actually a supporter of his, yelled that he was a “thug” and threw him out of the rally.
As many in the African-America community point out, “thug” is the new “n-word”.
22. Said that many immigrants are “animals” who “slice and dice young, beautiful girls.”
23. Retweeted WhiteGenocideTM Twitter account who was a white supremacist
24. Retweeted WhiteGenocideTM Twitter account again after being informed he was a white supremacist… and he still did it.
25. Sided with Nazis and white nationalists by praising “beautiful Confederate statues.”
26. Failed to disavow KKK grand wizard David Duke.
For three whole days, Donald Trump told multiple interviewers that he didn’t know who he was, despite being leaders of the Reform Party together back in 2000.
27. Mocked Asians with an “Engrish” accent.
28. Called for a “complete and total shutdown of Muslims entering the United States”.
29. Refereed to black protesters as “not people.”
30. Thanked supporters who beat up a Latino man and defended them as “passionate”
31. Said he keeps a book written by Adolph Hitler in a cabinet by his bed.
32. Reteweeted the white supremacist known for the “Pizzagate” conspiracy theory.
33. Took three whole days to condemn violence at a Nazi rally in Charlottesville.
In doing so he blamed the protesters who were injured and killed by a Nazi driving his car through a crowd equally to the Nazi who was driving the car.
34. Had an angry phone call with the Prime Minister of Australia for being legally obligated to accept refugees, saying “I hate taking these people”.
35. White House Advisor Sebastian Gorka went on national television and said white supremacists are not the problem.
36. During a devastating hurricane recovery, lamented that Puerto Ricans were lazy and wanted everything done for them.
37. Defended Nazis as “very fine people.”
38. After a devastating hurricane, labeled Puerto Ricans as lazy
39. Contrasted Puerto Rico death toll to ‘a real catastrophe like Katrina’
Telling Puerto Rican officials they should be “very proud” that hundreds of people haven’t died after Hurricane Maria as they did in “a real catastrophe like Katrina.”
40. Fueled hate crime with a tweet erroneously linking a rise in the UK crime rate to “radical Islamic terror”.
41. Stereotyped Japan as a “country of samurai warriors”
42. At a Navajo veterans’ event, made a racist ‘Pocahontas’ crack on Senator Elizabeth Warren
43. Said people coming from Haiti “all have AIDS” and Nigerians all “live in huts.”
44. Said Latinos and Africans come from “shithole” countries.
Then said we should allow more Europeans, like those from Norway.
45. Called a career U.S. Intel office “pretty Korean lady,” grilled her on her heritage
He made a career U.S. intelligence officer uncomfortable when he grilled her on her Korean heritage and demanded to know why she wasn’t being used to negotiate with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un
46. Cited misleading statistics from the Center for Immigration Studies, an designated hate group
47. While walking into Easter services, claimed without evidence Mexicans are flooding America because “they want to take advantage of DACA.”
48. Claimed that immigrants are raping at historically high levels.
49. Called immigrants “breeders.”
50. During a rally asked “Any Hispanics in the room?” to relative silence. “Naw, not so many? That’s OK.”
51. Stood by his banning of Muslims from entering the country, said “there’s nothing to apologize for.”
52. During a press conference with the Nigerian President, did not deny he called African countries “shitholes,” and even went farther saying, “You do have some countries that are in very bad shape and very tough places to live in.”
53. Called deported immigrants “animals.”
He later tried to clarify he was only talking about MS-13 gang members, but in context of his entire comment it’s not exactly clear.
54. Said at a Naval Academy commencement address that “our ancestors tamed a continent,” adding that “we are not going to apologize for America.”
Your typical racist manifest destiny other cultures are savage rhetoric.
55. Threatened Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe he would ship 25 million Mexicans to his country
The idea being that Mexicans are lazy and a burden.
56. Falsely blamed Democrats for his child separation policy and declared that the U.S. will not become “a migrant camp.”
57. Described unauthorized Hispanic immigrants as an “infestation.”
58. Defended his child separation policy by stating “you have to take the children away” in order to deter further Hispanic immigration.
59. Fear-mongered immigrants by falsely painting Democrats as wanting Middle-Eastern immigrants to “pour in.”
60. Called for the deportation of immigrants and without due process.
61. Blamed immigrants for changing the pure culture of Europe.
62. Bashed African-American basketball player LeBron James as stupid, and African-American CNN host Don Lemon made him look smarter by comparison.
63. Bullied former aide Omarosa, labeling her as sub-human.
64. Introduced a Hispanic Border Patrol agent as being okay because he speaks “perfect English.”
65. Promoted a crazy conspiracy theory that white farmers are being murdered in South Africa as a form of white genocide
Originating from alt-right sites and podcasts, suddenly it ends up in Donald Trump’s Twitter feed.
66. Politicized the death of Mollie Tibbetts, blaming immigrants for her death.
Trump is again fear-mongering immigrants, commit crimes at less rates than native population.
67. Donald Trump responded to a revised death toll in Puerto Rico caused by Hurricane Maria by saying the government “did a fantastic job.”
68. Claimed sexual assault survivors are paid crisis actors and referenced an actual anti-Semitic conspiracy theory of an international Jewish cabal of puppet-masters pulling the strings to thwart the will of everyday Americans.
69. Stoked white nativism by fear-mongering asylum seekers traveling from Central America.
70. Claimed, without evidence, that “unknown Middle-Easterners” are traveling with asylum seekers traveling from Central America.
71. Cut off aid to the same countries he once labeled as “shitholes,” for not stopping their people from immigrating to the United States.
72. Claimed “unknown middle easterners” were posing as legal Hispanic immigrants, and couldn’t produce any evidence when asked.
73. Told a crowd that legal Hispanic immigrants were “very bad people” and is an “assault on our country.”
74. Confused our Western allies by claiming immigrants have made Europe less pure and “a mess.”
75. While fear-mongering a “caravan” of legal asylum seekers from Hispanic countries, Trump inflated the size of the group to try to make them seem more menacing to his virtually all-white audience.
76. Told white nationalist Laura Ingram his administration is planning on putting legal asylum seekers from Hispanic countries into concentration camps.
77. Secretly planned to overturn the 14th Amendement to the United States Constitution to end “birthright citizenship.”
78. Tweeted legal asylum seekers from Hispanic countries were actually “very bad thugs and gang members.”
79. Pushed an anti-Semitic international Jewish conspiracy theory that George Soros was funding a migrant “caravan.”
80. Created the single most racist campaign ad ever run, accusing Democrats of plotting to help “Central American invaders” overrun the nation with cop killers.
81. Even though Native American groups previously told him to his fact to quit using the ethnic slur, Trump told his mostly all-white crowd that calling Senator Elizabeth Warren “Pocahontas” was “too good to give up.”
82. Donald Trump called an African-American journalist “racist” for asking him to renounce white nationalism that he has previously defended.
83. Trump singled out an African-American journalist, among a gaggle of reporters, to tell her she “asks a lot of stupid questions.”
84. Trump threatened to shut down the entire border with Mexico, in his belief that Hispanics are the cause of crime and drugs in the country, ignoring shipping containers from China and a border with Canada.
85. Trump forced legal Latin American asylum seekers to wait in horrible conditions in Mexico, rather than follow United States and international laws.
86. Trump repeated a KKK talking point, that immigrants are “diseased.”
87. Trump again repeated a KKK talking point, that immigrants are “invading” our country.
88. Trump brought a “visual aid” to explain to Republicans during a luncheon why we shouldn’t pay for disaster relief for Puerto Rico, but not Texas or Florida.
89. Trump cut international aide for the exact same Latin American countries he once called “shitholes.”
90. Trump again echoed the KKK, claiming “our country is full.”
91. Trump told a room full of Jewish-Americans that Netanyahu was “their prime minister,” an anti-Semitic trope of “dual loyalty” he recently accused a freshman Congresswoman of.
92. Trump wanted to “dump” legal immigrants into “sanctuary cities” on his racist belief that it would raise crime levels in their cities, as revenge.
93. Trump told Customs and Border Patrol officials to break the law when dealing with legal immigrants from Hispanic countries.
94. Trump again threatened to send legal immigrants to “sanctuary cities,” incorrectly calling them “gang members,” “drug dealers,” and “human traffickers.”
Trump’s Racist Actions
Words are one thing, but then there are actions. Let’s take a look at a few of those:
1. Ran on a campaign to build a wall with Mexico because of drugs flowing into the United States.
While drugs are coming in to the country at about the same rate from Canada there is no mention of a northern border wall. Why is that? Hint: One is brown and the other is white. (Well actually Scott Walker said we should have a Canadian border wall… and was promptly laughed at by Trump and the rest of the Republicans.)
2. Attempted to ban people based on their religion alone.
3. Rolled back civil rights protection efforts across the federal government.
4. Instituted a child separation policy with the specific intention to discourage Hispanic asylum seekers
5. Lost 1,475 children as part of their child separation policy, in some cases permanently.
6. Hired known white supremacists in his administration
- Steve Bannon who was the head of the white supremacist Breitbart website, where he turned it into a white supremacist platform, has sections dedicated to
“black crime” but no other ethnicity, and frequently engages in racist and anti-semetic attacks.
- Sebastain Gorka who is a member of a Nazi-linked group in Turkey, Vitézi Rend, even wearing their uniform to Trump’s inauguration.
- Jeff Sessions, once said the KKK was okay until he learned they smoke marijuana.
- Russell Vought, who fashions himself an anti-Muslim crusader.
- Stephen Miller, who recently told a Univision reporter to “go back to your country.”
- Darren Beattie, a speechwriter who spoke at the white supremacist conference H.L. Mencken Club Conference in 2016.
- Eric Blankenstein, a policy director at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau who wrote as a blogger if using the n-word was inherently racist and claimed that the great majority of hate crimes were hoaxes.
- Julie Kirchner, an ombudsman for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the agency in charge of processing immigration and naturalization and former head of FAIR, a designated anti-immigration and white supremacist hate group.
7. Hired three known white supremacists to represent him at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland
- Lori Gayne, whose Twitter handle is “whitepride”
- William Johnson, a white separatists and chairman of the American Freedom Party
- Guy St Onge, an anti-Muslim pastor and YouTube star among white supremacists
8. Dropped their opposition to Texas’ voter ID laws.
Which multiple federal judges have found discriminates against black and Latino Americans.
9. Pardoned his friend Joe Arpiao
Arpiao was convicted by multiple federal judges for violating the Constitution’s 4th Amendment by targeting dark-skinned people, even after the Department of Justice called him found him to be the worst civil-rights abuser in modern times and legally demanded he stopped his practices. By Trump pardoning Arpiao he is signaling that the will protect his friends (corruption) and violating the constitutional rights of non-whites is an acceptable practice (racist).
10. Had a study proving the positive impact of refugees buried.
11. Slashed legal immigration in half.
12. Proposed deporting immigrants who used government assistance which they were legally allowed to access.
13. Refused to hire minority White House interns.
14. Without evidence accused hundreds of Hispanic-Americans living along the U.S.-Mexico border of having fraudulent birth certificates, stripping some of their passports.
15. Held an Iftar celebration and didn’t invite a single American Muslim.
16. His first 87 judicial picks, only one was Black and one was Hispanic
That makes Trump’s judicial picks 92% white.
These are only a small subset of examples and we could go over dozens more, but can you see a pattern?
I think with this evidence we have more than enough examples where we can safely say Donald Trump holds racist views.
And if someone you know can’t see why these statements and actions are racist, agrees with them, or think they don’t go far enough, well, maybe you should start looking at their pattern of behavior too.